According to soy checkoff analysis data from the 2012/13 marketing year, the most recent data available, domestic animal agriculture consumed 28.4 million tons of soybean meal (or the meal from nearly 1.2 billion bushels of U.S. soybeans) – by far the largest source of soybean meal demand.
In 2013, animal agriculture had the following positive national economic impacts:
- 1,984,000 job impact throughout the economy
- $16 billion impact on income taxes paid
- $371 billion impact on total output in the economy
- $65 billion impact on household incomes
- $7 billion impact on property taxes paid